You are here

joe's blog

Browser Particles

images: 

I have been working on a mobile game with M&M Entertainment again, and our new game calls for a particle-based animation on top of the gameboard. I went to work in OpenGL ES building an Objective-C module for the mostly-complete Titanium app. Setting up the GLKit view, textures and geometries, communicating which textures are needed and when, and then cleaning up the objects after they are used turns out to be a pretty complex set of tasks. That stuff produces great results, but was eating more time that I would have preferred.

K-Means in JS

images: 

Earlier this summer, I was lucky enough to be given a month and a pile of bank data to develop tools and skills for visualizing the data. I can't show any of the visualizations for privacy of the bank customers. But, working with the vast dataset presented a need to categorize bank customers by highly-dimensional demographic data. I implemented the basic K-Means algorithm with Javascript. With around ten thousand vectors to categorize, this algorithm was performant enough not to be sluggish in Javascript.

New Deck by the Garage

images: 

Workbench Part 8

images: 
category: 

Workbench Part 7

images: 

The top! Cheap construction lumber laminated with hard maple sides. Crosscutting the 5.25" top square proved a bit of a challenge. I made a rough cut with the handsaw but decided to screw on the mitre strip as shown for four runs through the table saw - top and bottom for each end. The end grain cleaned up nicely with a low angle block plane.

Workbench Part 6

images: 
Tenons are cut to slide on the top. To drawbore the leg braces, I drilled the mortises through, inserted the tenons, tapped the same brad point bit to mark the tenons and then drilled the tenons 1/16" tighter than the mortise holes.
category: 

Workbench Part 5

images: 
It's exciting to fit the base joints. I've been planning how to build the top, which will slide onto tenons cut into the tops of the legs. It will probably be the common setup with front vise and tail vise, just reversed so that it will fit into the place in the basement directly to the left of the fridge. I prefer the tail vise designs that use wooden guides and an inexpensive bench screw to the fancier and much more expensive steel rail setups.
category: 

Workbench Part 4

images: 

The most satisfying thing a monkey can do is use his own handmade tools. And, I spent a lot of time cleaning up the first seven tenons with just a chisel. So, I made this new shoulder/chisel plane after reading about the one on garagewoodworks.com.

category: 

Workbench Part 3

images: 

category: 

Workbench Part 2

images: 

The legs are dimensioned and cut to length.

The last beam becomes the braces between the legs -- two long and two short.

Braces ready to join.

category: 

Pages